Saturday, August 17, 2013

Summer Mentorship Component

Literal:

1) Hours Log:
Copy & Patse to your URL:
 https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AupYbqly5qyPdC0zOHJNaFhaYjBMZ3Q1STdVT09XU3c&usp=sharing

2) Karla Rodriguez Vallejo:
-Phone (562) 907-7429
-Cell (626) 660-5730

3) Questions
-What is the academic pathway to becoming a marriage and family therapist?
-What Universities have good marriage and family health major programs?
-What is the definition of a "typical day" for this career?
-How do I one day run my own private practice?

(Interpretive)

4) What is the most important thing you gained from this experience? Why?
The most important thing I gained from this experience hands down is the knowledge that I learned from a professional. I learned how a marriage and family therapist actually goes about their work hours. This experience is the most important because I have researched this career in the past, but to actually be able to experience first hand a therapy session; or to prepare handouts for a therapy session is just phenomenal for me in terms of experience and knowledge to posses in a career that I'm highly interested in. My most vital piece of experience has to be the attending two group therapy sessions. I got to experience and feel the whole therapist vibe. I was really fascinated and excited to watch them both pan out. I was allowed to analyze Karla and witness how she interacted with the people of the group sessions. I learned a lot by sitting in the group and being in the therapy session atmosphere. I'm grateful Karla allowed me to help her out, I certainly enjoyed it and was honored to learn from a professional.

(Applied)

5) How did what you did help you choose a topic?
This assignment helped me choose my topic (marriage and family therapy) because after the hours of mentorship I am now certain that I am truly interested in this career field and one day I want to pursue it. I love being able to help others out and be a good communicator. For example my mentor Karla told me different methods of speaking to individuals. She taught me how to get somebody to open up you. I learned that the best way for that to be done is by being a good communicator by listening, understanding the patient emotionally, and then being able to give advice and positive help back to let them know you are there for them and there is help and a way out/ or to solve their conflicts. I really want to be able to help people one day, just as Karla has demonstrated to me. I want to be able to make a difference in somebody's life. Through my own character traits and the job qualities required, I think I'm a perfect fit and I want to help people out. I am eager to continue my quest of expanding my knowledge on this career field, and I want to continue mentoring. Thus without a doubt I knew my topic had to be Marriage and Family Therapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment