Saturday, August 31, 2013

Monthly Post: Research


Monthly Post: 

         During my summer mentorship I worked with a marriage and family therapist named Karla Rodriguez Vallejo. Due to confidentiality I was not able to witness individual sessions with her and patients. However I was able to sit with and participate in her group therapy sessions. The two sessions I was able to participate in we're a parenting session with pure adults that covered how to communicate with their children and be a better parent. The other session consisted of discussing relationships, sex, and trust with high school couples. 
         I actually helped her prepare for her sessions by assisting her in the collecting of research and work sheets in order to assemble packets that would be handed to those individuals participating in the group sessions. For example in the picture above, there is a worksheet for the high school couples therapy session. I assisted her in the research of healthy relationships, safe sex, and abuse prevention. Afterwards I compacted the info into neat packets for the patients. It was a really exciting experience and I felt fulfilled when I would see all the patients utilizing the packets that I helped create, because I knew I made a difference and really contributed to the therapy session. 

No comments:

Post a Comment